Apologies for the amount of time in between updates. Most of you have already heard about these news items, but they are so cool that a post is required.
First, the newly released video for The Vampyre of Time and Memory:
And in addition, check out QOTSA’s new live EP: …Like Cologne, which was recorded on September 4th. Sorry to all of those people who live in places where Spotify doesn’t work. We’re trying to come up with a better way to share this with you.
In this day and age, do album sales really matter? People download music for free, they pick and choose individual songs to buy and just generally buy significantly fewer albums than they did just a decade ago.
However, QOTSA’s new album …Like Clockwork debuted at #1 on the Billboard Top 200 and I think that’s pretty cool. It’s the band’s first number 1 album (their previous best was Lullabies to Paralyze which peaked at #5) and also the first number 1 record from Matador. Lullabies actually sold 6,000 more copies in its first week than …Like Clockwork did (97,000 vs. 91,000), but record sales are declining every year, so this debut is still pretty impressive. Many people deserve to be congratulated for this awesome achievement:
1) Josh Homme – because there is no such thing as QOTSA without Josh
2) Troy, Mikey, Dean, Dave, Joey and Jon – because there is more to QOTSA than just Mr. Homme
3) Trent Reznor, Alex Turner, Elton John and all the other guests – because each of them brought something unique to the table
4) Matador Records – because the buildup, marketing and execution of the album launch were done exceptionally well
So this piece of news isn’t really a big deal. But it sort of is. Queens of the Stone Age has created something wonderfully unexpected with …Like Clockwork and they are being rewarded for their creativity. QOTSA should be incredibly proud of this accomplishment. Here’s hoping this isn’t the last #1 record we see from Josh and the gang.
This is an absolutely incredible concert from last night at The Wiltern in Los Angeles courtesy of NPR.org. Enjoy all of the songs from …Like Clockwork (except for Fairweather Friends for some reason) along with a bunch of older tracks. The band has never sounded better:
This post features three key points that should make any Queens of the Stone Age fan happy.
1) …Like Clockwork will be released on June 3rd in the UK and June 4th in the USA.
2) The album will feature 10 tracks as follows:
1. Keep Your Eyes Peeled
2. I Sat By The Ocean
3. The Vampyre of Time and Memory
4. If I Had A Tail
5. My God Is The Sun
7. Fairweather Friends
8. Smooth Sailing
9. I Appear Missing
10. …Like Clockwork
3) Listen to the album’s first single “My God Is The Sun” below:
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.